Keywords: prisons, slavery, globalization, prison abolition
- Week 13 Discussion Prompt: Global Prisons and Abolition (84)
How can we think about the histories of prisons as a part of the history of globalization? Use specific examples from the Davis book to illustrate this.
What do you think about the concept of prison abolition? Is it desirable? Possible?
- Angela Y. Davis, Are Prisons Obsolete?
- Frank Barat, “A Q&A With Angela Davis on Black Power, Feminism and the Prison-Industrial Complex”
- The Chicago Reporter, “Juvenile Justice”
- Eric Schlosser, “The Prison-Industrial Complex”
- Ruth Wilson Gilmore, “Globalisation and U.S. Prison Growth: From Military Keynesianism to Post-Keynesian Militarism”
- Laura Sullivan, “Prison Economics Help Drive Arizona Immigration Law”
- Nina Bernstein, “Companies Use Immigration Crackdown to Turn a Profit