Keywords: social movements, the internet
- Week 2 Discussion Prompt: Social Movements and New Media (88)
In your own words, summarize Christiansen’s explanation of a social movement and its stages. How do the cases of the Egyptian revolution and the police killing of Oscar Grant illustrate this idea of social movements? Do you think social media are changing the nature of social movements and revolution today?
- Jonathan Christiansen, “Four Stages of Social Movements”
- Nahed Eltantawy and Julie B. Wiest, “Social Media in the Egyptian Revolution: Reconsidering Resource Mobilization Theory”
- Mary Grace Anthony and Ryan J. Thomas, “‘This is Citizen Journalism at its Finest: YouTube and the Public Sphere in the Oscar Grant Shooting Incident”
- Kwame Nkrumah, “Introduction,” from Neo-colonialism, the Last Stage of Imperialism
- Michael D. Conover, Emilio Ferrara, Filippo Menczer, Alessandro Flammini, “The Digital Evolution of Occupy Wall Street”