Keywords: neoliberalism, neocolonialism, tourism, gender, sex work
- Week 5 Discussion Prompt: Globalization, Neoliberalism, and Tourism (75)
Part I: Provide a brief summary of how David Harvey characterizes neoliberalism. What do you think he means by creative destruction? How can you relate Harvey’s analysis of neoliberalism to Chapter 6 of Origins of the Modern World?
Part II: Connect the articles by Aren Aizura and Stephen Crockett to your description of neoliberalism and globalization in part I. In other words, how do these articles support, extend, or challenge Harvey and Marks?
- Robert B. Marks, The Origins of the Modern World, Ch. 6
- David Harvey, “Neoliberalism as Creative Destruction”
- Aren Aizura, “The Romance of the Amazing Scalpel: ‘Race,’ Labour, and Affect in Thai Gender Reassignment Clinics”
- Stephen A. Crockett Jr., “The Brixton: It’s new, happening and another example of African-American historical ‘swagger-jacking’”
- Globalization and the Tourism Industry
- peoplemov.in (Interactive site showing migrant flows across the globe)