Keywords: informalization, contingent labor, service industries, outsourcing
- Week 6 Discussion Prompt: Labor, Consumption, China (76)
How does Andrew Ross depict and explain the outsourcing of labor to China? What does Ross think is especially significant about recent shifts? How does this connect to the descriptions of work in the other three articles? What similarities and differences did you find in those three work settings?
- Andrew Ross, excerpt from Fast Boat to China
- David Segal, “Apple’s Retail Army, Long on Loyalty but Short on Pay”
- Jay Green, “Riots, suicides, and other issues in Foxconn’s iPhone Factories”
- Julian Dibbell, “The Life of the Chinese Gold Farmer”